Wednesday 23 January 2013

My Opinion-Not-A-Review Of Chasing Venus

(No, it’s not Rihanna’s latest chart topper, it’s a romantic suspense by Diana Dempsey.)
Contains spoilers for Up, Harry Potter and, naturally, the novel itself.
I downloaded Chasing Venus because it was
a) by Diana Dempsey – I’d read her novel Falling Star before and loved it
b) had a pretty awesome chick-lit-y cover (I’m a sucker for chick lit)
c) I’d read a sample somewhere and it teased my writerly tastebuds
d) it had good reviews
e) it was free
I recommend you go and download it.

Rating: ★★★★

I literally could not put Venus down. And Annie and Reid’s story is beautifully written. But when I finished it… I had a few nitpicks.
Annie’s a fantastically complex character, but there were a couple of OOC* moments that bugged me. (It’s a product of reading too much fanfiction.)
May I mention the movie ‘Up’? At one moment–

*Spoiler*

–when Reid goes to hunt Bigelow, it screamed “CARL PUT THE HOUSE OVER THE BOY REID THIS IS A TRAP WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING GET YOUR ASS BACK TO ANNIE”.
Wow, excuse the Americanism. I spend too much time on the interwebs.
And in HP, when Sirius is killed… “YEAH YER A WIZARD HARRY YEH’RE S’POSED T’ BE SMART OH LOOK HERMIONE WAS RIGHT AGAIN THIS IS WHY NO ONE SHIPS HARMONY YOU DICK**”.
Take the ‘yer a wizard’ out and you’ve got Reid sussed. (Yeah. No one ships Reid×Hermione. My point is proved.)

*Spoilers end*

My verdict: It’s fun to read and even better to nitpick.

Love always,
Victoria

* Out Of Character
** No offense to Harmony shippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment